I Should Be At The Goonies 25th Anniversary Celebration in Astoria, Oregon - But I'm Not, Which Sucks!
- 25 years ago this weekend, I was 11 1/2 (to kids, the half is very important).
- 25 years ago this weekend, it was with much anticipation that I witnessed one of my most favorite movies, The Goonies (favorite next to E.T. of course).
- 25 years ago this weekend, I went to see a film because I had a crush on Corey Feldman and left loving Sean Astin. Sean with his mop of auburn hair, freckles, braces, decked out all in Wrangler dark denim and sucking on an asthma inhaler--boy was he yummy!
- 25 years ago this weekend, I carried a mini tape recorder into the theater with me so that I could bring The Goonies home with me. I recorded all of the audio. To this day, I swear I can recite every bit of the script while watching the DVD.
- 25 years ago this weekend, I began pouring my allowance into Goonies movie cards, books, posters, anything I could get my hands on--much like I did with E.T.
- 25 years ago this weekend, began my summer love with The Goonies. Ask anyone I went to Hofstra University drama day camp with or my grammar school buddies. Summer of '85 I was all about those damn Goonies!
- 25 years ago this weekend, I adored Cyndi Lauper and her hit song "Goonies 'R' Good Enough". Check tomorrow's blog for the video.
- 25 years ago this weekend, I began writing dozens of letters to the stars of The Goonies. Take note, this was all I received in return:
|(click to enlarge)|
<-- Postcard from actor Ke Huy Quan who portrayed the adorable Richard "Data" Wang (did you know that his real-life little sister portrayed the little girl stomping her feet when Brand/Josh Brolin stole her bike?). That blank space is where Ke Huy was supposed to tell me what a great fan I was and sign. He didn't. Not sure why I saved it.
As you know, Corey did eventually send me a handwritten letter! This letter won me over and I soon forgot Sean Astin and was all about Corey Feldman again.
I wish I was at The Goonies 25th Anniversary Event in Astoria, Oregon, but alas, I'm unemployed and therefore didn't have the funds to join my lover Corey Feldman and co. and am stuck reading all about it in his Corey Feldman Wordpress blog instead.
OK, you're not gonna believe this, but I live about 90 minutes from Astoria. And I have never seen The Goonies!
I love the Goonies! It is one of those movies that I have to watch every time I see it on TV. It has been on a LOT lately (on AMC last night and tonight, celebrating the 25th Anniversary). It's been on ABC Family the past few weekends, too.
I love catching the rare version that includes the octopus scene! This has been shown on the heavily edited Disney Channel version.
I had a "Color Corey Feldman" post on my blog not too long ago (a page from a "Gremlins" activity book).
I would love to be friends with anyone from the movie! Lucky you!
It doesn't get much better than The Goonies. 25th anniversary? I must celebrate with the Truffle Shuffle.
I love the Goonies too.
When that movie comes on, I have to watch it.
Funny how you have your favorite movies on video, but you still have to watch when it comes on TV
The entire family loved this one!
Maybe you'll make it to the 50th anniversary.
I've never seen the movie. Not my thing I don't think.
I would go to a 25th reunion of Repo: The Genetic Opera or any of the Saw movies.
Long live the Goonies! And memories of 1985. And Corey Feldman, for that matter. Let's hope the same fate as the other Corey doesn't befall him too!
Ohmigod! How old do I feel now?! I can't believe it was that long ago.
Plus it was so long ago that it was the days before multiplex cinemas and I remember my dad taking me and my brother to see it, and after queuing for aaaages we still didn't manage to get in and had to go back another time!
Gosh...25 years...unbelieveable...that is an all time fav as far as movie's go and because I liked it so much I eventually turned my kids onto it years later
Maybe you screwed up and the festival is in Astoria, Queens. Then we can all totally go....well all of us that live in the tr-state area. Loved Cyndi Lauper song. Also liked the video. ROCKY ROAD!!!!
25 years ?! ARGH Oh my. I'm sorry you couldn't go. I didn't even know so I won't be there but I wish I was. As we say in Québec : Je suis une fan finie.
I'm a big fan.
Ok, I'm with Riot Kitty. I've never seen the Goonies. Should I put it on my list? I loved ET (still do)!
I had no idea Corey appeared in so many things as a kid. Personally, I liked him best as Teddy Duchamp in Stand By Me (still one of my favourite movies).
I just had a look at your handwritten letter post too, I would have been ecstatic! Lucky you.
Were'nt they just great, I now got the theme tune in my head, how funny.
You know what's sad?
I've never been to Astoria and I live in Oregon.
And it's probably the best thing that ever came out of here...except for Stand By Me which was filmed right up the road, but I'm not counting that because I'm lame like that.
Love The Goonies!...and you of course!
I've got the Good Enough song in my head now! Love it!
That picture is adorable. Corey sounds so sweet in that handwritten letter. It's nice that he sent those out, even if he had someone write/type/copy it for him. Sorry you can't be in Astoria, Ally.
I have always loved The Goonies and even seriously considered going out to Oregon for this weekend. Couldn't justify it, so instead my daughter & I watched the movie again yesterday.
Did my own issue at Kickin' it Old School on the film back on Richard Donner's birthday last year. ( http://OldSchool.tblog.com/post/1970062475 )
Can't believe that Riot Kitty lives that close to Astoria and not only has not been to the film sites, but has not even seen the movie! Wow.
I loved the Goonies movie. I still do! I still wish I was as smart as Data and was able to make up those gadgets.
I remember as a child trying to develop some interesting gadgets. Unfortunately they never worked.
i loved reading this post :)
i just dj'ed a show in cleveland that corey feldman and his band played..it was quite the experience ; )
if my friend ever stops being lazy and emails it to me, i may have a photo of the two of us to post some day...
omg - when cory feldman "wrote" you that initial letter, he was filming stand by me with my all time favorite - river phoenix. wow. that seriously just made me a little teary eyed. interesting that they were originally calling it "the body" - the name of the short story it's based on.
Post a Comment