(This is not my real hair color -- I dyed it a dark eggplant red)
It's prom season here in the New Jersey area. Remember the prom? I always find it funny how kids on television and in movies always refer to this big formal end-of-the-year dance as "prom" and not "the prom" ... anyone know? Example "I'm going to prom" vs. "I'm going to the prom" ... Is it like a California thing "prom" vs. "the prom" -- I need to know!
Back in 1990, I attended my senior prom. Although, I'm not entirely sure why. I loathed high school and everything it stood for. Hated most of my classmates. They hated me. Douchey tough guys and mean, angry big-haired Long Island girls armed with Fendi bags and long nails. But I went. Mom must have told me I might regret not going.
I don't remember much about prom night. Yes, it was 20 years ago, but truth be told I was super nervous and felt completely out of place. I sucked at trying to fit in.
10 Fun Facts About Prom Night 1990
- My Prom was held at the legendary Tavern on The Green in New York City.
- I didn't enjoy paying $100 per ticket (a pretty hefty bill for a kid in 1990).
- I wasn't really a fan of my dress. I dieted hardcore all winter, losing over 40 lbs just for the prom. Honestly, it was the only dress we could find in my size. In 1990, a size 14 dress was nearly impossible to locate. Torrid and Alight.com did not exist back then.
- I didn't drink or smoke the night of the prom (or ever in high school).
- With Penny Saver coupon in hand, I asked our local florist for black roses for my corsage. They refused, but provided dark red roses.
- Someone's boyfriend played Pink Floyd tapes for us in the limo. I wished we were listening to The Smiths or Depeche Mode. To this day I hate Pink Floyd.
- Oddly, the two girls in our limo were both wearing royal blue dresses.
- Like most of the guest, my boyfriend and I took a carriage ride around Central Park.
- I own very few photos from the prom because my boyfriend tore them all up after a fight we had.
- Prom night was the first time I had ever heard of "arugula" salad. At 17, I couldn't pronounce it and nudged my boyfriend in a panic. My boyfriend worked at his uncle's restaurant in The Hamptons and assured me it was delicious. Today it's one of my favorite types of lettuce.