For the last 24-hours, I've been bombarded with Facebook updates and Tweets proclaiming 2011 is gonna be the best year ever. Sorry all you silly, hungover hopefuls, this year is probably gonna suck just like 2010, 2009, 2008, etc. If it were up to me ... if I had full control ... we'd be ringing in 1982. 1982 was my year. 1982 was one of the best years ever. Even though it wasn't the year I met my husband, or the year I met Micky Dolenz, or the year I graduated high school or college, it was an amazing year.
1. I was 10! Who wouldn't want to be 10 back in the 80s? Old enough to have fun, but not worry about pimples, boys, weight, makeup, a part-time job, SATs, college, etc.
2. E.T.! E.T. was the best movie EVER. Remember, I saw it 14 times that year!
3. The best music! The Motels, Hall & Oates, Rick Springfield, etc. Looking over the list of Top 40 songs from 1982, almost every song is awesome.
4. Politics Shmolitics! I didn't care that Ronald Reagan was president. I was 10, it didn't really affect me.
5. Baby aspirin was still magical! Yes, I know in October, 1982 there was that whole Tylenol scare issue going on, but my mom still let me chew St. Joseph's baby aspirin. Although I cared, I was 10, the Tylenol thing didn't really affect me.
|One Day At A Time, awesome show!|
6. TV was terrific! Love Boat, One Day At A Time, Alice, Joanie Loves Chachi, Dukes of Hazard, etc. I loved prime time network television. Some of the best TV ever!
7. California Girl! I went to California for the very first time for free! It was my favorite trip ever! My parents had given up our four seats while heading home to New York from Florida one day. We were asked to accommodate a family of four who needed to get on that particular flight. In exchange for giving up our seats, the airline bought us all dinner while we waited for the next flight home. They also gave my parents four free plane tickets to anywhere in the continental US. We went to Universal Studios and Disneyland. We traveled to San Fransisco and LA and even stayed at the Beverly Hills Hotel.
8. Atari! I loved playing what would become timeless classics such as Donkey Kong and Pac-man! Best video games ever!
Jordache bags, ribbon barrettes, feathered clips, hearts, rainbows and 3/4-length jersey shirts with iron-on images were all the rage and I loved it all! Best fashions ever!
10. Recession-proof! In 1982 there was a recession and the unemployment rate reached like 10%. My parents were teachers and their jobs were safe. I was 10, it didn't really affect me. Today, in 2011, I'm no longer 10 and the recession really affects me.
Nice post girlie! Yup.. 82' and 83' for me were magical years for me. Great memories!
Maybe 2011 will be the new 1982? :) Or...not. I'm from the same childhood era as you but all I remember is people everywhere with bad hair, neon clothing and too much blusher. However, TV was full of hotness. At least then. Now, looking back, not so much. Happy 2011!
I can't say 1982 was the best year for me, but it sure was interesting! Your posts always activate my memory banks!
Happy New Year Ally!
Darrin - glad you agree!
Vegetable Assassin - ick, I believe you're referring to 1984/85 bad year for fashion for sure!
Pat - Happy New Year to you and your family!
I smiled a lot while recalling these things! Happy New Year to you and yours!
You should present these findings to the supreme court and make it official. BTW...'83 was decent too, since I got Bar Mtzvah'd that year.
I was only 5 in 1982, but a little later in the 80's things were looking up for me Lol
Also the year I was born!
I was five for most of that year but I remember Pac Man and a bunch of other stuff. Then again, I also lived in Houston, so I am happy it's 2011 :)
1982 was a great year but for different reasons:
I graduated from college and got married.
Let's see...in 1982 I was...6 so most of the coolness was beyond me still. I do think the 80s had the best toys and cartoons for kids, everything sucks now. lol And TV was awesome!
Happy Old Year! :D
I'm with ya, sister! I was in 8th grade in 1982, met my first love (puppy love), drove tractors in the field, and had no worries. Life was grand. Magic times...
I was 6, but I think I even had boy Jord. jeans. I think the best year was 86, but that is just mho.
you saw ET 14 times?! Wow.
Even though I was five in 1982, it was a very good year. I'd go back in a hearbeat. Happy New Year!
I definitely agree with you on this. I have some great memories of the early 80's. I enjoyed reading about what made 1982 special and fun for you. I hope that you have a good 2011.
although I wouldn't look good in those cuts of jeans, I love those outfits in the last picture. The girl with the skirt is the best. can't believe the prices either.
Shirts with iron on decals were the bomb...
As I thought, we're definitely the same age. Love your blog.
Post a Comment