|The young, late River Phoenix, Ethan Hawke |
and Jason Presson star in Explorers.
Sure I had a brother, but he was four years younger and still played with cap guns and GI Joes when I was 12, so he didn't really count. It was the life of preteen and young teen boys that peeked my curiosity. I'm sure most guys would admit films like Explorers and Weird Science depicted the life of boys as way more sci-fi/action/adventure than reality, but still ...
Basically Explorers focuses around three cute young teen boys portrayed by Ethan Hawke, River Phoenix (their first feature film) and somewhat unknown actor, Jason Presson. I thought Jason was extraordinarily special. His voice was noticeably deeper than the other stars. Slightly schlubby, he was cute without trying. His wavy hair didn't fall the way Ethan's and River's did and he seemed deep, dark and secretive.
Sorry for getting slightly off-topic... Basically Ethan Hawke's character Ben has a vivid dream about traveling through space in a special space ship. He consults his friends and they get to work putting Ben's dream into action. Explorers is obviously a fantasy film most youngsters would get excited about. You know, one of those movies you wish could really happen, but can't.
Here are some bullet points about Explorers and a video clip of the Explorers trailer featuring Ethan, River and Jason.
- Explorers was written by Eric Luke and directed by Joe Dante.
- Explorers hit theaters on July 12, 1985 and suffered from
- The DVD version of Explorers cut two scenes from the original theatrical version, but threw in an additional scene missing from the box office release.
- Writer Eric Luke appears in the film as one of the boy's teachers.
- Amanda Peterson also stars in the film as a pretty 12-year-old prior to her role as Cindy in Can't Buy Me Love.
View or watch the trailer for Explorers staring Ethan Hawke, River Phoenix and Jason Presson here: