Stussy Secrets - Once A Must-Have, Now Vintage Surf & Skate Apparel
Was it spelled Stussy or Stüssy? Was it pronounced "Stew-Cee" or did it rhyme with "hussy"? Didn't matter! If you were a skater, snowboarder, surfer or raver back in the 1990s, you most likely owned something from the Stussy clothing line.
Created by Shawn Stussy, Stussy was for sure one of the coolest, hippest clothing brands between the late 1980s through the early 1990s.
I was somewhat surprised to discover Shawn Stussy is still bringing it. Gotta love our fellow aging hipsters. Although Shawn sold the Stussy brand to his business partner and old fiend, his S/Double Studio line of hip gear seems pretty freakin' cool for us mature, former ravers. Slick looks that are more J.Crew than loud. If I wasn't so financially conservative these days, I'd definitely order my husband some new jeans or shorts from S/Double--for now he's all Old Navy. Then again, why waste coolness on a man that doesn't care? Anyway...
Clueless about Stussy? Here are a few things you should know the '90s fashion phenomenon.
1. Shawn began his brand by selling shirts out of his car in Laguna Beach, California. At age 24, Shawn Stussy, an avid skater and surfer started his own surfboard company.
2. Stussy was possibly more popular in Europe than in the USA and continues to sell overseas.
3. In 1984, Shawn's old friend Frank Sinatra Jr. joined him in marketing his brand -- funny there's no relation between his business partner and the famous crooner.
4. Back in the early 1990s, my friends and I would head to Soho to visit the Stussy Store and load up on fashionable rave apparel.
5. Shawn Stussy has a blog right here on Blogger! Check him out here!
*Image from http://slamxhype.com/